LATEST FRONTIER NEWS
Medicine Woman Does it Again !!October 24, 2016
Medicine Woman makes it a three-peat as top stock
COLORADO SPRINGS - Frontier Rodeo's exceptional saddle bronc horse Medicine Woman is building a résumé worthy of the ProRodeo Hall of Fame.
The 11-year-old was named a 2016 Pendleton Whisky "Let 'er Buck" Bucking Stock of the Year winner for the third consecutive time, putting her in rarified air.
Medicine Woman has now won the award four times - she also won it in 2011 - which puts her alone in second place all-time among all bucking stock. Hall of Fame horse Descent is the leader, with six wins in the years before there were separate awards for bareback horses and saddle bronc horses.
"I don't know where she'll rank someday as far as the greatest of all-time, but I do know that she'll be one of the top 10 saddle bronc horses to ever buck at a PRCA rodeo," Frontier Rodeo owner Jerry Nelson said.
Nelson and his company have essentially owned the saddle bronc category when it comes to the Bucking Stock of the Year awards in recent times.
This makes five out of the last six years that a Frontier horse has won or split the title - Maple Leaf was co-champion in 2013.
"It means that 23 years' worth of breeding is paying off, and it means a lot for our future that we're raising these type of quality animals," Nelson said. "It proves our breeding program is on the right track. We've been working our butts off for a long time trying to figure out what works."
Powder River Rodeo's Craig At Midnight took top bareback horse honors. This is the first time the company has won the award for best bareback horse since Hall of Famer Khadafy Skoal won it in 1995-96.
"When you watch these colts grow up from the time they're babies to what they are now, it's an overwhelming feeling," said Lori Franzen, who owns the company with her husband, Hank. "We all cried when we found out Craig had won."
The horse - named for Powder River Rodeo foreman Craig Roe - is one of the biggest bareback horses going down the road at about 1,600 pounds.
"He's super strong, and bucks hard every time," Franzen said. 'He's not an easy horse to ride, but if you do ride him, it'll be 88-90 points."
For the first time in 21 years, Andrews Rodeo can claim the top bull in the PRCA.
Midnight Bender - a 5-year-old, 1,700-pound beast - is the first Andrews bull to win Bucking Stock of the Year since Bodacious in 1994-95.
"The thing that makes us the proudest of this bull winning the award is that we raised him here on the ranch," said James Andrews, co-owner of Andrews Rodeo. "He's out of Fender Bender, who went to the NFR numerous times, and also out of a daughter of Bo Dippin', which was a granddaughter of Bodacious."
The bull has only been ridden once in PRCA competition in the past three years - Wyatt Mecham, 79 points in Belton, Texas, in 2014.
"Having him win this award is about like watching your kid hit a walk-off home run," Andrews said. "We put so much time, care and effort into raising all these animals, so when you win an award like this, it's very special."
Here are the full results:
1. Craig At Midnight, Powder River Rodeo
2. Virgil, C5 Rodeo
3. Top Flight, Pickett Pro Rodeo
Saddle Bronc Riding
1. Medicine Woman, Frontier Rodeo
2. Wound Up, Beutler & Son Rodeo
3. Spring Planting, Flying Five Rodeo
1. Midnight Bender, Andrews Rodeo
2. Sweet Pro's Bruiser, D&H Cattle
3. My Brother, Andrews Rodeo
Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association
101 Pro Rodeo Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80919 www.prorodeo.com
Editor's Note: The information enclosed in this release is courtesy of the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association (PRCA) for media use. However, if you reprint any of the following information verbatim in your publication, or if you read it verbatim on a radio broadcast, please mention that the information is courtesy of the PRCA.
Other Frontier Rodeo News
- Frontier Rodeo Company Announced 2018 PRCA Stock Contractor of the YearDecember 11, 2018
- SLE Pro Rodeo February 27, 2017
- Frontier Rodeo takes home the gold !! December 1, 2016
- Don Gay to judge Big Tex Choice contest August 24, 2016
- Schlegel has career day at Cody StampedeJuly 6, 2016
- Wrights dominate saddle bronc riding at Cody StampedeJuly 5, 2016
- Final Results for Lehi RoundupJune 26, 2016
- Bennett hits right number to win Corpus ChristiApril 19, 2016
- Final Performance Results, Corpus Christi, Texas! April 17, 2016
- Results after Third Performance, Corpus Christi, TXApril 16, 2016
- Corpus Christi results after second performance April 15, 2016
- Results After First Performance, Corpus Christi, TX. April 14, 2016
- Foltyn claims Montgomery crownMarch 28, 2016
- Local Favorite, Clayton Foltyn, of Winnie, Texas Takes Home the Money in Bull RidingMarch 26, 2016
- Southeastern Livestock ExpositionMarch 19, 2016
- Arcadia All-Fla Championship RodeoMarch 14, 2016
- Brown has sunny time in FloridaMarch 14, 2016
- ‘He’s the one,’ Palin campaigns for Trump at Arcadia RodeoMarch 14, 2016
- Lewis Feild: Oct. 28, 1956 – Feb. 15, 2016February 16, 2016
- 64th Annual Mid Winter Fair Rodeo WinnersJanuary 19, 2016
- Frontier Rodeo Company Named 2015 Stock Contractor of the YearDecember 21, 2015
- 2015 world champions crowned in Las VegasDecember 13, 2015
- Rusty Wright continues family’s winning legacyDecember 10, 2015
- Frontier Rodeo Company Receives PRCA Stock Contractor of the Year, Saddle Bronc of the Year, Medicine Woman, and PRCA Reserve World Champion Bareback Horse of the Year, Full Baggage! December 3, 2015
- State Fair Of Louisiana Pro RodeoOctober 27, 2015
- Medicine Woman, Dirty Jacket repeat as top stockOctober 20, 2015
- Pasadena Livestock Show & RodeoSeptember 23, 2015
- Casey Martin breaks through in CodyAugust 17, 2015
- Casey Martin breaks through in CodyAugust 17, 2015
- Freedom Rodeo And Old Cowhand ReunionAugust 17, 2015
- Diaz Sets Dodge City Round-Up Arena RecordAugust 3, 2015
- Kimzey has Good Time at Spanish ForkJuly 27, 2015
- Hardwick tops WCC Spanish Fork fieldJune 2, 2015
- Asay rides Frontier’s Dirty Cop to overall lead in bull riding at Buc Days RodeoApril 26, 2015
- Hermann thrills crowd to win barrel racing on final day of Buc Days Rodeo in Corpus ChristiApril 26, 2015
- Murphy, Breding finally tame Frontier bulls to lead going into weekend at Buc Days RodeoApril 25, 2015
- Frontier bulls steal spotlight on first day of Buc Days RodeoApril 24, 2015
- YMBL Championship Rodeo resultsMarch 28, 2015
- Outside the Arena -- True MaverickMarch 26, 2015
- Full Baggage has Young thinking about more travel (Southeastern Livestock Exposition results)March 22, 2015
- Spencer happily takes his Medicine in ArcadiaMarch 15, 2015
- Frontier Rodeo Co. building history with award-winning livestock; looks to Roswell May 15-16March 10, 2015
- Jerry Nelson's Frontier Rodeo Company Will Provide the World's Top Bucking Horses for THE AMERICANFebruary 28, 2015
- Semi-Finals crowns champions, names American qualifiersFebruary 28, 2015
- Andrews Rodeo dominates WNFR Top Stock AwardsDecember 23, 2014
- PRCA Bucking Stock of the Year AnnouncedOctober 20, 2014
- State Fair of Louisiana Accounts New Pro Rodeo Contract for 2014September 22, 2014
- Pasadena Livestock Show & Rodeo ResultsSeptember 18, 2014
- Pass, Bownds gain ground in PasadenaSeptember 18, 2014
- Results: XIT Rodeo & Reunion in Dalhart, TXAugust 11, 2014
- Sundell Finds Right Medicine in Dodge CityAugust 5, 2014
- Cody Stampede - Rodeo ResultsJuly 8, 2014
- Stall Rushes Toward Top with Big Night in CodyJuly 1, 2014
- Cody Wright Lets it Rip for 90 in MontgomeryMarch 15, 2014
- Frontier Rodeo Scores Big in Bucking Stock AwardsOctober 21, 2013
- Frontier Rodeo Featured in Buckin' Stock MagazineOctober 1, 2013
- World’s Top Rodeo and Bull Riding Champions to Compete for $2 Million Cash Payout in Richest One-Day Event in Western Sports HistoryAugust 22, 2013