LATEST FRONTIER NEWS
Wrights dominate saddle bronc riding at Cody StampedeJuly 5, 2016
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Susan Kanode (817) 307-6336
Wrights dominate saddle bronc riding at Cody Stampede
CODY, Wyo., July 4, 2016 --- The 97th annual Cody Stampede came to a close on July 4th with a new slate of saddle bronc riders at the top of the leaderboard.
The top four positions changed with the winners having a combined 22 Wrangler National Finals Rodeo (NFR) qualifications and three world titles. All of them are related and come from the same hometown. It’s no surprise that they all share the same last name -- Wright.
Winning the rodeo with an 88-point ride was four-time NFR qualifier Jake Wright, who is currently 5th in the world standings. He rode Frontier Rodeo’s horse Short Stop to add $8,686 to his season earnings. Just a half-point behind him was older brother Cody who has two world titles and 12 NFR qualifications to his credit. Cody is 24th in the world standings and is hoping to move up and make the trip to Las Vegas to compete next December. The $6,659 he got here will certainly help.
Finishing in a tie for third was Jesse, Jake’s twin brother and Rusty, Cody’s oldest son. They each had 86 point rides to win $4,053. Jesse has competed at the NFR five times and left with a world title in 2012. He is currently 31st in the world standings.
Rusty qualified for his first NFR last year and finished the season in 3rd place. He is well on his way to his second qualification setting in third place prior to the Cody Stampede. When it was all said and done, the Wrights are going to deposit $23,451 in their Milford, Utah, bank accounts.
In the bareback riding, it was a world champion horse that took center stage on the Fourth. Full Baggage, owned by Frontier Rodeo was the bareback horse of the year in 2011 and 2013 and was the reserve champion last year.
When Joel Schlegel from Burns, Colo., found out that was the horse he would ride here, he didn’t know whether to be scared, excited or just nervous. He was a little of all three, but said he knew if he did his job and stayed on, he had an opportunity to be a bunch of points.
That is exactly what happened for the Mountain States Circuit contender. Schlegel was 87 points at the Stampede Arena on Monday to win $10,540. This was the biggest win of his career.
The 98th Anniversary of the Cody Stampede will be held over the 2017 Fourth-of-July holiday. More information will be available at www.codystampederodeo.com.
2016 Cody Stampede Champions
Bareback Riding – Joel Schlegel, Burns, Colo., $10,540
Steer Wrestling – Clayton Hass, Terrell, Texas, $9,091
Team Roping – Luke Brown, Stephenville, Texas (header)
Jake Long, Coffeyville, Kan., (heeler) $9,426 each
Saddle Bronc Riding – Jake Wright, Milford, Utah, $8,686
Tie-Down Roping – Clint Nyegaard, Cuero, Texas, $9,912
Barrel Racing – Taylor Jacob, Carmine, Texas, $10,583
Bull Riding – Cody Rostockyj, Lorena, Texas, $8,705
CODY, Wyo., July 4, 2016 --- Following are results from the 97th annual Buffalo Bill Cody Stampede
Fourth Performance –
Bareback Riding: 1, Joel Schlegel, Burns, Colo., on 87 points Frontier Rodeo’s Full Baggage. 2, Caleb Bennett, Tremonton, Utah, 85. 3, (tie) J.R. Vezain, Cowley, Wyo., and R.C. Landingham, Hat Creek, Calif., 84.5 each.
Steer Wrestling: (three times) 1, Dan Mulkey, Dell, Mont., 4.2 seconds. 2, Luke Gee, Stanford, Mont., 5.3. 3, Justin Blain Davis, Argyle, Texas, 27.8.
Team Roping: (two times) 1, Steele De Paoli, Longview, Alberta, and Kasper Roy Mossleigh, Alberta, 5.0 seconds. 2, Monty Wood, Quanah, Texas, and Brandon Gonzales, Lipan, Texas, 10.2.
Saddle Bronc Riding: 1, Jake Wright, Milford, Utah, 88 points on Frontier Rodeo’s Short Stop. 2, Cody Wright, Milford, Utah, 87.5. 3, (tie) Jesse Wright, Milford, Utah, and Rusty Wright, Milford, Utah, 86 each.
Tie-Down Roping: 1, Michael Otero, Lowdensboro, Ala., 9.9 seconds. 2, Eric Brown, Beverly Hills, Calif., 15.8. 3, Roger Nonella, Redmond, Ore., 19.5. 4, Logan Hofer, Magrath, Alberta, 20.9.
Barrel Racing: 1, Michele McLeod, Whitesboro, Texas, 17.27. 2, Mary Walker, Ennis, Texas, 17.41. 3, Trula Churchill, Valentine, Neb., 17.53. 4, Katelyn McLeod, Whitesboro, Texas, 17.61.
Bull Riding: (two rides) 1, Jordan Hansen, Okotoks, Alberta, 81.5 points on Frontier Rodeo’s Sunshine. 2, Cole Melancon, Liberty, Texas, 77.
The following are current leaders in the timed events after slack and the first performance –
Bareback Riding: 1, Joel Schlegel, Burns, Colo., 87 points on Frontier Rodeo’s Full Baggage, $10,540. 2, (tie) Jessy Davis, Power, Mont., and Caleb Bennett, Tremonton, Utah, 85 and $7,026 each. 4, (tie) R.C. Landingham, Hat Creek, Calif., and J.R. Vezain, Cowley, Wyo., 84.5, $3,162. 6, Jake Vold, Ponoka, Alberta, 83, $1,757. 7, Tanner Aus, Granite Falls, Minn., 83, $1,405. 8, Evan Jayne, Marseille, France, 82, $1,054.
Steer Wrestling: 1, Clayton Hass, Terrell, Texas, 3.4 seconds, $9,091. 2, (tie) Clayton Moore, Pouce Coupe, British Columbia, and Baylor Roche, Tremonton, Utah, 4.0 and $7,655 each. 4, Shayde Tree Etherton, Borden, Ind., 4.1, $6,220. 5, (tie) Riley Krassin, Lander, Wyo., and Dan Mulkey, Dell, Mont., 4.2, 0$4,785. 7, Jason Thomas, Benton, Ark., 4.3, $3,349. 8, (tie) Kody Woodward, Dupree, S.D.; Ty Erickson, Helena, Mont.; Coltin Hill, Blackfoot, Idaho; and Tooter Silver, Quitman, Ark.; 4.4, $1,077 each.
Team Roping: 1, Luke Brown, Stephenville, Texas, and Jake Long, Coffeyville, Kan., 4.2 seconds, $9,426. 2, Jr. Dees, and Matt Zancanella, Aurora, S.D., 4.4, $8,433. 3, (tie) Paul David Tierney, Oral, S.D., and Cesar de la Cruz, Tucson, Ariz.; Riley Minor and Brady Minor, Ellensburg, Wash.; Payden Emmett, Ponca, Ark., and Justin Pruitt, Victoria, Texas; and Max Kuttler, American Falls, Idaho and Ike Folsum, Dillon, Mont.; 4.5 and $5,953 each. 7, Kolton Schmidt, Barrhead, Alberta, and Shay Carroll, Prineville, Ore., 4.8, $3,473. 8, Marcus Paul Theriot, Poplarville, Miss., and Lane Mitchell, Bolivar, Tenn., 4.9, $2,480. 9, (tie) Steele De Paoli, Longview, Alberta, and Kasper Roy, Mossleigh, Alberta; Paul Beckett, Laramie, Wyo., and Chad Wahlert, Kersey, Colo.; Lane Ivy, Adrian, Texas, and B.J. Dugger, Three Rivers, Texas; Seth Hall, Albuquerque, N.M., and Byron Wilkerson, Duncan, Ariz.; 5.0 and $496 each.
Saddle Bronc Riding: 1, Jake Wright, Milford, Utah, 88 points on Frontier Rodeo’s Short Stop, $8,585. 2, Cody Wright, Milford, Utah, 87.5, $6,659. 3, (tie)Jesse Wright, Milford, Utah and Rusty Wright, 86, $4,053 each. 5, Cody DeMoss, Heflin, La., 84.5, $2,027. 6, Joey Sonnier III, New Iberia, La., 83.5, $1,448. 7, (tie) Ryan Mackenzie, Homedale, Idaho; Layton Green, meeting Creek, Alberta, and Samuel Kelts, Millarville, alberta, 83, $675.
Tie-Down Roping: 1, Clint Nyegaard, Cuero, Texas, 8.0 seconds, $9,912. 2, Cimarron Boardman, Stephenville, Texas, 8.1, $8,869. 3, Matt Shiozawa, Chubbock, Idaho, 8.2, $7,825. 4, Justin Brinkerhoff, Corrine, Texas, 8.3, $6,782. 5, Shane Hanchey, Sulphur, La., 8.4, $5,739. 6, Marcos Costa, Childress, Texas, 8.5, $4,695. 7, Sterling Smith, Stephenville, Texas, 8.6, $3,652. 8, (tie) Taylor Santos, Creston, Calif., and Timber Moore, Aubrey, Texas, 8.7, $2,087. 10, (tie) Jerrad Hofstetter, Shallow Water, Texas; Randall Carlisle, Athens, La.; and kyle Dickens, Loveland, Colo.; 8.8, $174.
Barrel Racing: 1, Taylor Jacob, Carmine, Texas, 16.92, $10,583. 2, Sarah Rose McDonald, New Brunswick, Ga., 17.04, $8,466. 3, Carley Richardson, Pampa, Texas, 17.05, $6,879. 4, Kathy Korrell p Rach, Loveland, Colo., 17.12, $5,291. 5, Rainy Pratt, Ellensburg, Wash., 17.21, $4,233. 6, (tie) Michele Mcleod, Whitesboro, Texas and Vickie Carter, Richfield, Utah, 17.27, and $2,910. 8, (tie) Kimmie Wall, Roosevelt, Utah and Tiany Schuster, Krum, Texas, 17.36, $2,249. 10, Jackie Ganter, Abilene, Texas, 17.37, $1,842. 11, (tie) Jill Welsh, Parker, Ariz., and Tillar Murray, Fort Worth, Texas, 17.39, $1,455. 13, Kellie Collier, Hereford, Texas, 17.40, $1,058. 14, (tie) Mary Walker, Ennis, Texas; Sherry Cervi, Marana, Ariz.; and Kim Schulze, Larkspur, Colo., 17.41, $441.
Bull Riding: 1, Cody Rostockyj, Lorena, Texas, 86.5 points on Summit Pro Rodeo’s Dark Denim, $8,705. 2, Bryce Barrios, Bluff Dale, Texas, 86,$6,674. 3, Bart Miller, Pleasanton, Neb., 85, $4,933. 4, Shane Proctor, Grand Coulee, Wash., 84.5, $3,192. 5, Cody Teel, Kountze, Texas, 83.5, $2,031. 6, Jacob O’Mara, Baron Rouge, La., 82.5, $1,451. 7, Jordan Hansen, Okotoks, Alberta, 81.5, $1,161. 8, Jeff Bertus, Avon, S.D., 80, $871.
Other Frontier Rodeo News
- SLE Pro Rodeo February 27, 2017
- Frontier Rodeo takes home the gold !! December 1, 2016
- Medicine Woman Does it Again !!October 24, 2016
- Don Gay to judge Big Tex Choice contest August 24, 2016
- Schlegel has career day at Cody StampedeJuly 6, 2016
- Final Results for Lehi RoundupJune 26, 2016
- Bennett hits right number to win Corpus ChristiApril 19, 2016
- Final Performance Results, Corpus Christi, Texas! April 17, 2016
- Results after Third Performance, Corpus Christi, TXApril 16, 2016
- Corpus Christi results after second performance April 15, 2016
- Results After First Performance, Corpus Christi, TX. April 14, 2016
- Foltyn claims Montgomery crownMarch 28, 2016
- Local Favorite, Clayton Foltyn, of Winnie, Texas Takes Home the Money in Bull RidingMarch 26, 2016
- Southeastern Livestock ExpositionMarch 19, 2016
- Arcadia All-Fla Championship RodeoMarch 14, 2016
- Brown has sunny time in FloridaMarch 14, 2016
- ‘He’s the one,’ Palin campaigns for Trump at Arcadia RodeoMarch 14, 2016
- Lewis Feild: Oct. 28, 1956 – Feb. 15, 2016February 16, 2016
- 64th Annual Mid Winter Fair Rodeo WinnersJanuary 19, 2016
- Frontier Rodeo Company Named 2015 Stock Contractor of the YearDecember 21, 2015
- 2015 world champions crowned in Las VegasDecember 13, 2015
- Rusty Wright continues family’s winning legacyDecember 10, 2015
- Frontier Rodeo Company Receives PRCA Stock Contractor of the Year, Saddle Bronc of the Year, Medicine Woman, and PRCA Reserve World Champion Bareback Horse of the Year, Full Baggage! December 3, 2015
- State Fair Of Louisiana Pro RodeoOctober 27, 2015
- Medicine Woman, Dirty Jacket repeat as top stockOctober 20, 2015
- Pasadena Livestock Show & RodeoSeptember 23, 2015
- Casey Martin breaks through in CodyAugust 17, 2015
- Casey Martin breaks through in CodyAugust 17, 2015
- Freedom Rodeo And Old Cowhand ReunionAugust 17, 2015
- Diaz Sets Dodge City Round-Up Arena RecordAugust 3, 2015
- Kimzey has Good Time at Spanish ForkJuly 27, 2015
- Hardwick tops WCC Spanish Fork fieldJune 2, 2015
- Asay rides Frontier’s Dirty Cop to overall lead in bull riding at Buc Days RodeoApril 26, 2015
- Hermann thrills crowd to win barrel racing on final day of Buc Days Rodeo in Corpus ChristiApril 26, 2015
- Murphy, Breding finally tame Frontier bulls to lead going into weekend at Buc Days RodeoApril 25, 2015
- Frontier bulls steal spotlight on first day of Buc Days RodeoApril 24, 2015
- YMBL Championship Rodeo resultsMarch 28, 2015
- Outside the Arena -- True MaverickMarch 26, 2015
- Full Baggage has Young thinking about more travel (Southeastern Livestock Exposition results)March 22, 2015
- Spencer happily takes his Medicine in ArcadiaMarch 15, 2015
- Frontier Rodeo Co. building history with award-winning livestock; looks to Roswell May 15-16March 10, 2015
- Jerry Nelson's Frontier Rodeo Company Will Provide the World's Top Bucking Horses for THE AMERICANFebruary 28, 2015
- Semi-Finals crowns champions, names American qualifiersFebruary 28, 2015
- Andrews Rodeo dominates WNFR Top Stock AwardsDecember 23, 2014
- PRCA Bucking Stock of the Year AnnouncedOctober 20, 2014
- State Fair of Louisiana Accounts New Pro Rodeo Contract for 2014September 22, 2014
- Pasadena Livestock Show & Rodeo ResultsSeptember 18, 2014
- Pass, Bownds gain ground in PasadenaSeptember 18, 2014
- Results: XIT Rodeo & Reunion in Dalhart, TXAugust 11, 2014
- Sundell Finds Right Medicine in Dodge CityAugust 5, 2014
- Cody Stampede - Rodeo ResultsJuly 8, 2014
- Stall Rushes Toward Top with Big Night in CodyJuly 1, 2014
- Cody Wright Lets it Rip for 90 in MontgomeryMarch 15, 2014
- Frontier Rodeo Scores Big in Bucking Stock AwardsOctober 21, 2013
- Frontier Rodeo Featured in Buckin' Stock MagazineOctober 1, 2013
- World’s Top Rodeo and Bull Riding Champions to Compete for $2 Million Cash Payout in Richest One-Day Event in Western Sports HistoryAugust 22, 2013