LATEST FRONTIER NEWS
Bennett hits right number to win Corpus ChristiApril 19, 2016
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas – Caleb Bennett wasn’t sure what to expect when he drew Frontier Rodeo’s M5 at Rodeo Corpus Christi, but he got all he wanted.
“I didn’t know that horse, but it turned out pretty good,” he said. “I found out when I got there that it was an old barrel (racing) horse. That made me more nervous than ever, because you can’t get bucked off a barrel horse or you’ll never hear the end of it. That horse turned out to be a little more than I expected, but I was able to muscle through it.”
He rode M5 for 85.5 points and the win, good for a check worth $6,126. The horse also carried Tim O’Connell to a second-place finish with an 83.5-point ride.
“Frontier (Rodeo) packs real horsepower,” Bennett said. “That’s my first win at Corpus; I entered there for the first time two years ago and probably could’ve won it then, but missed my horse out.”
Bennett moved up two spots to fifth in the April 18 WEATHER GUARD® PRCA World Standings with $36,663, and has an eye on the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo presented by Polaris RANGER; it would be his fifth straight qualification. He finished seventh in the world standings in 2012, eighth in ’13, 12th in ’14 and 15th last year.
He still dreams of winning a gold buckle, but has changed his philosophy about chasing that goal.
“I’m trying to focus on my performance and my ride, and if I end up at the NFR, that’s great,” he said. “I’m going to nod my head one at a time and capitalize on that ride, instead of worrying about that pot of gold at the end.”
The 27-year-old cowboy from Tremonton, Utah, was the 2007 National High School Finals Rodeo bareback riding champion. That came in his senior year, after three previous qualifications.
“That was my first stepping stone to where I wanted to go in my career,” he said. “Winning the high school nationals was a lot harder than people think. There are so many kids out there trying for that. It’ll forever be a huge memory for me and something I use to feed my fire and remember what got me started.”
Bennett grew up in a rodeo family as his father, John, rode bucking horses and bulls, and his mother, Claudine, ran barrels. His older brother, Dustin, was a PRCA circuit cowboy and a talented roper. His three sisters all rodeo, as does his little brother, Cooper, a high school sophomore who he’s taken under his wing.
“He’s a very handy team roper and calf roper,” Bennett said of Cooper, “but I’ve been holding him off barebacks until this year. It’s nerve-wracking when I put him on in practice. He wants everything to happen so quickly; it takes me back to when I started and reminds me how far I’ve come. It’s a neat experience, and very humbling.”
Bennett, who owns 10 acres in Tremonton, college rodeoed for two years at Weber State University (Ogden, Utah) and two years at Utah Valley State University. He qualified for the College National Finals Rodeo four times, and made the short go three times.
“I have a couple of team roping horses on my place,” he said. “I like to rope with my brothers. I have a string of bucking horses, about 15 of them. I don’t practice on them, but I take some to college practices and to the rodeo school I do once a year down in Mount Pleasant (Utah) and let the kids get on.
“It’d be cool if someday I had a horse good enough to get to the NFR.”
Frontier Rodeo animals get there on a regular basis, and their roughstock shined again in Corpus Christi.
Saddle bronc riding winner Rusty Wright broke the arena record and recorded the highest score of the season in his event when he rode for 91 points on Frontier Rodeo’s Medicine Woman. The horse was the 2015 PRCA Saddle Bronc of the Year, and also was named Top Stock at the 2015 WNFR.
Bull rider Aaron Pass also rode for 91 points, on Frontier Rodeo’s Live Hostage, to equal the second-highest score of the season.
Other winners at the $206,602 rodeo were all-around cowboy JoJo LeMond ($5,090 in team roping and steer roping), steer wrestler Shane Frey (4.1 seconds), team ropers Nathan McWhorter and Dustin Davis (4.5 seconds), tie-down roper Scott Kormos (7.8 seconds), barrel racer Michele McLeod (13.49 seconds) and steer roper Jason Evans (46.2 seconds on four head).
Read more about Rodeo Corpus Christi in the May 6 ProRodeo Sports News.
Other Frontier Rodeo News
- Frontier Rodeo Company 60th WNFR RecapDecember 16, 2018
- Frontier Rodeo Company Announced 2018 PRCA Stock Contractor of the YearDecember 11, 2018
- SLE Pro Rodeo February 27, 2017
- Frontier Rodeo takes home the gold !! December 1, 2016
- Medicine Woman Does it Again !!October 24, 2016
- Don Gay to judge Big Tex Choice contest August 24, 2016
- Schlegel has career day at Cody StampedeJuly 6, 2016
- Wrights dominate saddle bronc riding at Cody StampedeJuly 5, 2016
- Final Results for Lehi RoundupJune 26, 2016
- Final Performance Results, Corpus Christi, Texas! April 17, 2016
- Results after Third Performance, Corpus Christi, TXApril 16, 2016
- Corpus Christi results after second performance April 15, 2016
- Results After First Performance, Corpus Christi, TX. April 14, 2016
- Foltyn claims Montgomery crownMarch 28, 2016
- Local Favorite, Clayton Foltyn, of Winnie, Texas Takes Home the Money in Bull RidingMarch 26, 2016
- Southeastern Livestock ExpositionMarch 19, 2016
- Arcadia All-Fla Championship RodeoMarch 14, 2016
- Brown has sunny time in FloridaMarch 14, 2016
- ‘He’s the one,’ Palin campaigns for Trump at Arcadia RodeoMarch 14, 2016
- Lewis Feild: Oct. 28, 1956 – Feb. 15, 2016February 16, 2016
- 64th Annual Mid Winter Fair Rodeo WinnersJanuary 19, 2016
- Frontier Rodeo Company Named 2015 Stock Contractor of the YearDecember 21, 2015
- 2015 world champions crowned in Las VegasDecember 13, 2015
- Rusty Wright continues family’s winning legacyDecember 10, 2015
- Frontier Rodeo Company Receives PRCA Stock Contractor of the Year, Saddle Bronc of the Year, Medicine Woman, and PRCA Reserve World Champion Bareback Horse of the Year, Full Baggage! December 3, 2015
- State Fair Of Louisiana Pro RodeoOctober 27, 2015
- Medicine Woman, Dirty Jacket repeat as top stockOctober 20, 2015
- Pasadena Livestock Show & RodeoSeptember 23, 2015
- Casey Martin breaks through in CodyAugust 17, 2015
- Casey Martin breaks through in CodyAugust 17, 2015
- Freedom Rodeo And Old Cowhand ReunionAugust 17, 2015
- Diaz Sets Dodge City Round-Up Arena RecordAugust 3, 2015
- Kimzey has Good Time at Spanish ForkJuly 27, 2015
- Hardwick tops WCC Spanish Fork fieldJune 2, 2015
- Asay rides Frontier’s Dirty Cop to overall lead in bull riding at Buc Days RodeoApril 26, 2015
- Hermann thrills crowd to win barrel racing on final day of Buc Days Rodeo in Corpus ChristiApril 26, 2015
- Murphy, Breding finally tame Frontier bulls to lead going into weekend at Buc Days RodeoApril 25, 2015
- Frontier bulls steal spotlight on first day of Buc Days RodeoApril 24, 2015
- YMBL Championship Rodeo resultsMarch 28, 2015
- Outside the Arena -- True MaverickMarch 26, 2015
- Full Baggage has Young thinking about more travel (Southeastern Livestock Exposition results)March 22, 2015
- Spencer happily takes his Medicine in ArcadiaMarch 15, 2015
- Frontier Rodeo Co. building history with award-winning livestock; looks to Roswell May 15-16March 10, 2015
- Jerry Nelson's Frontier Rodeo Company Will Provide the World's Top Bucking Horses for THE AMERICANFebruary 28, 2015
- Semi-Finals crowns champions, names American qualifiersFebruary 28, 2015
- Andrews Rodeo dominates WNFR Top Stock AwardsDecember 23, 2014
- PRCA Bucking Stock of the Year AnnouncedOctober 20, 2014
- State Fair of Louisiana Accounts New Pro Rodeo Contract for 2014September 22, 2014
- Pasadena Livestock Show & Rodeo ResultsSeptember 18, 2014
- Pass, Bownds gain ground in PasadenaSeptember 18, 2014
- Results: XIT Rodeo & Reunion in Dalhart, TXAugust 11, 2014
- Sundell Finds Right Medicine in Dodge CityAugust 5, 2014
- Cody Stampede - Rodeo ResultsJuly 8, 2014
- Stall Rushes Toward Top with Big Night in CodyJuly 1, 2014
- Cody Wright Lets it Rip for 90 in MontgomeryMarch 15, 2014
- Frontier Rodeo Scores Big in Bucking Stock AwardsOctober 21, 2013
- Frontier Rodeo Featured in Buckin' Stock MagazineOctober 1, 2013
- World’s Top Rodeo and Bull Riding Champions to Compete for $2 Million Cash Payout in Richest One-Day Event in Western Sports HistoryAugust 22, 2013