LATEST FRONTIER NEWS
Lewis Feild: Oct. 28, 1956 – Feb. 15, 2016February 16, 2016
Lewis Feild, a five-time world champion and ProRodeo Hall of Famer, died Feb. 15 after battling stage 4 pancreatic cancer. He was 59.
Feild, who was born in Salt Lake City, Utah, and lived in Elk Ridge near Payson, Utah, won his first all-around world title in 1985, becoming the first roughstock cowboy to do so since Larry Mahan in 1973.
A PRCA member since 1980, Feild won three straight world all-around titles (1985-87), as well as two world bareback riding crowns (1985-86). In 1990, he became the first roughstock contestant to surpass $1 million in career earnings and the third cowboy overall, following Tom Ferguson and Roy Cooper.
Because of his prowess in both the roughstock and timed events, Feild won the distinguished Linderman Award three times (1981, 1988 and 1991). He also was the PRCA Bareback Riding Rookie of the Year in 1980.
Born Oct. 28, 1956, the son of Keith and True Feild, the Utah cowboy started his rodeo career at a young age. He competed in the National High School Rodeo Association, qualifying for the Finals three times.
Feild attended Utah Valley State College in Orem, Utah, on a full rodeo scholarship and qualified for the National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association Finals three years in saddle bronc riding, bareback riding and team roping.
Bareback rider Danny Brady, a six-time qualifier for the National Finals Rodeo (1982-84, 1986-87 and 1989), traveled with Feild for eight years, and had high praise for his dear friend.
“He was just one hell of a man,” said Brady, 57. “I hold him up there with my own dad, with the respect that I have for him. I was very fortunate to get to travel with him because he was such a positive influence on me in everything from riding bucking horses to being an example to me in just about everything we came in contact with.
“He was a man full of life and he was a cowboy through and through, not just a rodeo cowboy. The kind of man he was, everybody I talked to thought they were his best friend. He made everybody feel like he was their best friend and he cared about everybody he came in contact with. He was just a man’s man, and a cowboy’s cowboy in my book.”
Since retiring from competitive rodeo in 1991, Feild worked as a pickup man – working the 2004 WNFR – and also coached the rodeo team for his alma mater, Utah Valley State. He was inducted into the ProRodeo Hall of Fame in 1992.
The younger of his two sons, Kaycee Feild, is a four-time world champion bareback rider (2011-14).
Lewis Feild is survived by his wife, Veronica; three children, sons, Shad and Kaycee, and daughter, Maclee, and seven grandchildren. The family has set up a foundation, Buck Cancer, to aid ailing cowboys and other victims of pancreatic cancer.
To read this complete story and others on the PRCA Website, copy and paste the link provided below in your web browser:
Other Frontier Rodeo News
- Frontier Rodeo Company 60th WNFR RecapDecember 16, 2018
- Frontier Rodeo Company Announced 2018 PRCA Stock Contractor of the YearDecember 11, 2018
- SLE Pro Rodeo February 27, 2017
- Frontier Rodeo takes home the gold !! December 1, 2016
- Medicine Woman Does it Again !!October 24, 2016
- Don Gay to judge Big Tex Choice contest August 24, 2016
- Schlegel has career day at Cody StampedeJuly 6, 2016
- Wrights dominate saddle bronc riding at Cody StampedeJuly 5, 2016
- Final Results for Lehi RoundupJune 26, 2016
- Bennett hits right number to win Corpus ChristiApril 19, 2016
- Final Performance Results, Corpus Christi, Texas! April 17, 2016
- Results after Third Performance, Corpus Christi, TXApril 16, 2016
- Corpus Christi results after second performance April 15, 2016
- Results After First Performance, Corpus Christi, TX. April 14, 2016
- Foltyn claims Montgomery crownMarch 28, 2016
- Local Favorite, Clayton Foltyn, of Winnie, Texas Takes Home the Money in Bull RidingMarch 26, 2016
- Southeastern Livestock ExpositionMarch 19, 2016
- Arcadia All-Fla Championship RodeoMarch 14, 2016
- Brown has sunny time in FloridaMarch 14, 2016
- ‘He’s the one,’ Palin campaigns for Trump at Arcadia RodeoMarch 14, 2016
- 64th Annual Mid Winter Fair Rodeo WinnersJanuary 19, 2016
- Frontier Rodeo Company Named 2015 Stock Contractor of the YearDecember 21, 2015
- 2015 world champions crowned in Las VegasDecember 13, 2015
- Rusty Wright continues family’s winning legacyDecember 10, 2015
- Frontier Rodeo Company Receives PRCA Stock Contractor of the Year, Saddle Bronc of the Year, Medicine Woman, and PRCA Reserve World Champion Bareback Horse of the Year, Full Baggage! December 3, 2015
- State Fair Of Louisiana Pro RodeoOctober 27, 2015
- Medicine Woman, Dirty Jacket repeat as top stockOctober 20, 2015
- Pasadena Livestock Show & RodeoSeptember 23, 2015
- Casey Martin breaks through in CodyAugust 17, 2015
- Casey Martin breaks through in CodyAugust 17, 2015
- Freedom Rodeo And Old Cowhand ReunionAugust 17, 2015
- Diaz Sets Dodge City Round-Up Arena RecordAugust 3, 2015
- Kimzey has Good Time at Spanish ForkJuly 27, 2015
- Hardwick tops WCC Spanish Fork fieldJune 2, 2015
- Asay rides Frontier’s Dirty Cop to overall lead in bull riding at Buc Days RodeoApril 26, 2015
- Hermann thrills crowd to win barrel racing on final day of Buc Days Rodeo in Corpus ChristiApril 26, 2015
- Murphy, Breding finally tame Frontier bulls to lead going into weekend at Buc Days RodeoApril 25, 2015
- Frontier bulls steal spotlight on first day of Buc Days RodeoApril 24, 2015
- YMBL Championship Rodeo resultsMarch 28, 2015
- Outside the Arena -- True MaverickMarch 26, 2015
- Full Baggage has Young thinking about more travel (Southeastern Livestock Exposition results)March 22, 2015
- Spencer happily takes his Medicine in ArcadiaMarch 15, 2015
- Frontier Rodeo Co. building history with award-winning livestock; looks to Roswell May 15-16March 10, 2015
- Jerry Nelson's Frontier Rodeo Company Will Provide the World's Top Bucking Horses for THE AMERICANFebruary 28, 2015
- Semi-Finals crowns champions, names American qualifiersFebruary 28, 2015
- Andrews Rodeo dominates WNFR Top Stock AwardsDecember 23, 2014
- PRCA Bucking Stock of the Year AnnouncedOctober 20, 2014
- State Fair of Louisiana Accounts New Pro Rodeo Contract for 2014September 22, 2014
- Pasadena Livestock Show & Rodeo ResultsSeptember 18, 2014
- Pass, Bownds gain ground in PasadenaSeptember 18, 2014
- Results: XIT Rodeo & Reunion in Dalhart, TXAugust 11, 2014
- Sundell Finds Right Medicine in Dodge CityAugust 5, 2014
- Cody Stampede - Rodeo ResultsJuly 8, 2014
- Stall Rushes Toward Top with Big Night in CodyJuly 1, 2014
- Cody Wright Lets it Rip for 90 in MontgomeryMarch 15, 2014
- Frontier Rodeo Scores Big in Bucking Stock AwardsOctober 21, 2013
- Frontier Rodeo Featured in Buckin' Stock MagazineOctober 1, 2013
- World’s Top Rodeo and Bull Riding Champions to Compete for $2 Million Cash Payout in Richest One-Day Event in Western Sports HistoryAugust 22, 2013