LATEST FRONTIER NEWS
Frontier bulls steal spotlight on first day of Buc Days RodeoApril 24, 2015
By Kirk Copeland
(Corpus Christi, TX.) – All 15 of Frontier Rodeo’s bulls threw their riders Thursday evening at American Bank Center as the Buc Days Pro Rodeo got underway with a full slate of events.
After the first night of the four-day gathering held in conjunction with Corpus Christi’s Buccaneer Days Festival, several riders came away with impressive showings, most notably Jacobs Crawley in saddle bronc riding and Bill Tutor in bareback.
Other leaders heading into day two include Riley Duvall and Justin Blain Davis in steer wrestling; Caleb Mitchell and Steve Northcott in team roping; Joseph Gernentz in tie-down roping; and Cassidy Kruse in barrel racing.
The Buc Days Pro Rodeo will resume Friday at 7:30 p.m. and continue through the weekend.
Crawley was all set to ride a more familiar mount to him – Top Gear – in the first round, but the horse suffered a minor injury Thursday afternoon and was held out of the competition as a precaution. Instead, the Stephenville, Texas-native drew Griz, and responded with a brilliant ride that earned an 87 from the judges.
“I’ve seen Griz a bunch, but I’d never ridden him and I knew he was going to be something else,” said Crawley, the 2013 National Finals Rodeo saddle bronc champion. “Sure enough, he gave me all I could handle, but I was locked in and I wasn’t going to let him throw me. Great horse.”
Crawley’s closest competition came from Josh Reynolds, who rode Letter Rip to an 83, and Garet Aldridge, who posted a 77 on Midnight Delight.
Tutor, from Huntsville, Texas, was the last rider in the first event of the night, and he got the crowd roaring with his 88 on Times Up. While Tutor has a convincing five-point lead after round one, a trio of cowboys are within striking distance – Jake Brown (83 on Cross Fire), Steven Dent (82 on Delta Force) and Zachariah Phillips (80 on Dry Crop).
Duvall and Davis each posted times of 4.5 seconds to tie for the lead in steer wrestling after day one. Jacob Talley (4.9 secs.) and Hunter Cure (5.0) round out the top four entering Friday’s action.
Just three teams of riders came away with two successful rides in team roping Thursday, and the Mitchell/Northcott tandem posted the lowest aggregate time at 11.4 seconds, followed closely by Logan and Jordan Olson with an 11.6. Drew Horner and Jake Smith have work to do to catch the leaders, clocking a 21.2 aggregate.
Gernentz leads a quartet of cowboys with a time of 8.0 seconds in tie-down roping. Clay Long is just behind with an 8.1, while Hunter Herrin (8.8) and Landyn Duncan (9.0) remain in the hunt.
Gillette, Wyoming’s Kruse grabbed the top spot after one round in barrel racing with a time of 13.70 seconds. Abby Pursifull (13.90), Michelle Lummus (14.01), Rachel Rule (14.04) and Liz Herrin (14.05) are all still in prime striking distance.
“It was a fun first day for sure,” said Crawley. “The crowd is into it, the horses are great, and I’m having a great time!”
Other Frontier Rodeo News
- Top roughstock rides at the 91st Annual Arcadia All-Florida Championship Rodeo - March 7-10, 2019March 14, 2019
- Frontier Rodeo Company 60th WNFR RecapDecember 16, 2018
- Frontier Rodeo Company Announced 2018 PRCA Stock Contractor of the YearDecember 11, 2018
- SLE Pro Rodeo February 27, 2017
- Frontier Rodeo takes home the gold !! December 1, 2016
- Medicine Woman Does it Again !!October 24, 2016
- Don Gay to judge Big Tex Choice contest August 24, 2016
- Schlegel has career day at Cody StampedeJuly 6, 2016
- Wrights dominate saddle bronc riding at Cody StampedeJuly 5, 2016
- Final Results for Lehi RoundupJune 26, 2016
- Bennett hits right number to win Corpus ChristiApril 19, 2016
- Final Performance Results, Corpus Christi, Texas! April 17, 2016
- Results after Third Performance, Corpus Christi, TXApril 16, 2016
- Corpus Christi results after second performance April 15, 2016
- Results After First Performance, Corpus Christi, TX. April 14, 2016
- Foltyn claims Montgomery crownMarch 28, 2016
- Local Favorite, Clayton Foltyn, of Winnie, Texas Takes Home the Money in Bull RidingMarch 26, 2016
- Southeastern Livestock ExpositionMarch 19, 2016
- Arcadia All-Fla Championship RodeoMarch 14, 2016
- Brown has sunny time in FloridaMarch 14, 2016
- ‘He’s the one,’ Palin campaigns for Trump at Arcadia RodeoMarch 14, 2016
- Lewis Feild: Oct. 28, 1956 – Feb. 15, 2016February 16, 2016
- 64th Annual Mid Winter Fair Rodeo WinnersJanuary 19, 2016
- Frontier Rodeo Company Named 2015 Stock Contractor of the YearDecember 21, 2015
- 2015 world champions crowned in Las VegasDecember 13, 2015
- Rusty Wright continues family’s winning legacyDecember 10, 2015
- Frontier Rodeo Company Receives PRCA Stock Contractor of the Year, Saddle Bronc of the Year, Medicine Woman, and PRCA Reserve World Champion Bareback Horse of the Year, Full Baggage! December 3, 2015
- State Fair Of Louisiana Pro RodeoOctober 27, 2015
- Medicine Woman, Dirty Jacket repeat as top stockOctober 20, 2015
- Pasadena Livestock Show & RodeoSeptember 23, 2015
- Casey Martin breaks through in CodyAugust 17, 2015
- Casey Martin breaks through in CodyAugust 17, 2015
- Freedom Rodeo And Old Cowhand ReunionAugust 17, 2015
- Diaz Sets Dodge City Round-Up Arena RecordAugust 3, 2015
- Kimzey has Good Time at Spanish ForkJuly 27, 2015
- Hardwick tops WCC Spanish Fork fieldJune 2, 2015
- Asay rides Frontier’s Dirty Cop to overall lead in bull riding at Buc Days RodeoApril 26, 2015
- Hermann thrills crowd to win barrel racing on final day of Buc Days Rodeo in Corpus ChristiApril 26, 2015
- Murphy, Breding finally tame Frontier bulls to lead going into weekend at Buc Days RodeoApril 25, 2015
- YMBL Championship Rodeo resultsMarch 28, 2015
- Outside the Arena -- True MaverickMarch 26, 2015
- Full Baggage has Young thinking about more travel (Southeastern Livestock Exposition results)March 22, 2015
- Spencer happily takes his Medicine in ArcadiaMarch 15, 2015
- Frontier Rodeo Co. building history with award-winning livestock; looks to Roswell May 15-16March 10, 2015
- Jerry Nelson's Frontier Rodeo Company Will Provide the World's Top Bucking Horses for THE AMERICANFebruary 28, 2015
- Semi-Finals crowns champions, names American qualifiersFebruary 28, 2015
- Andrews Rodeo dominates WNFR Top Stock AwardsDecember 23, 2014
- PRCA Bucking Stock of the Year AnnouncedOctober 20, 2014
- State Fair of Louisiana Accounts New Pro Rodeo Contract for 2014September 22, 2014
- Pasadena Livestock Show & Rodeo ResultsSeptember 18, 2014
- Pass, Bownds gain ground in PasadenaSeptember 18, 2014
- Results: XIT Rodeo & Reunion in Dalhart, TXAugust 11, 2014
- Sundell Finds Right Medicine in Dodge CityAugust 5, 2014
- Cody Stampede - Rodeo ResultsJuly 8, 2014
- Stall Rushes Toward Top with Big Night in CodyJuly 1, 2014
- Cody Wright Lets it Rip for 90 in MontgomeryMarch 15, 2014
- Frontier Rodeo Scores Big in Bucking Stock AwardsOctober 21, 2013
- Frontier Rodeo Featured in Buckin' Stock MagazineOctober 1, 2013
- World’s Top Rodeo and Bull Riding Champions to Compete for $2 Million Cash Payout in Richest One-Day Event in Western Sports HistoryAugust 22, 2013